Few tourists will ever see this fascinating former East German neighborhood that morphed from a bleak, uniform Communist block into one of Berlin’s most diverse and vibrant areas. Join us on this remarkable journey through Berlin’s international food scene while literally walking through Berlin’s fascinating recent history that transformed the German capital into the most international city in all of Europe!
What you’ll Experience on this tour:
- A modern take on a historical dish, a Turkish/German collaboration, the Kebab
- A visit with Syrian refugees at a beautiful supper club where we taste some of their traditional flavors and learn how beautifully they have integrated into the culture of Berlin.
- Discover delicious flammkuchen and find out if it’s French or German, who really occupied that slice of land when this iconic dish was invented?
- The distinctive food of Germany is also celebrated with Beer which pairs perfectly with a taste of schnitzelbrot, one of our most widely eaten and celebrated dishes.
- Our dessert is the traditional dessert of the school children both before and after the fall of the wall. It is not a birthday without this celebrated layer cake.
- Among the historical sites we see is the Gated enclave that was the housing community for the Soviet Secret Police, only the outlines remain of where the gates were torn down.
- A Visit to the historic Berlin Wall to get the real story behind this iconic monument
This walking tour takes you from East Berlin to the West, along the way we will visit many of the international communities that have settled in Berlin. We will taste their contributions to the city’s ever evolving food scene. Berlin’s recent history is worthy of a tour all by itself, while you are enjoying the food and drink we will recount all that has happened and changed in the last 80 years while visiting some of the most interesting sites that are part of this history.
If you are looking for a food tour of Berlin that offers you so much more- then this experience will exceed even your highest expectations.