There is no place in Lisbon quite like Alfama…
The music, the quintessential local restaurants, the breathtaking views and all the historical treasures make an exploration of Alfama a must do when visiting Lisbon. What makes this experience unique, is that we go beyond the obvious to discover hidden corners, backstreets with the best local eats, and encounter the colorful characters like our friend Dora, who are the face of this storied neighborhood.
What you’ll Experience on this Alfama Stroll & Food Tour
- Uncover the iconic sites like St. George’s Castle, Sé Cathedral, & Portas do Sol Viewpoint.
- Devour the classics after taking in the amazing views of Alfama; sit down for a tasting of three traditional Portuguese dishes.
- Sip the ginjinha with the local legend Dora & taste her homemade ginjinha served in an edible chocolate cup.
- Capture all the best views offered of Lisbon in Alfama! You will experience the best miradouros (viewpoints).
- Visit a Fado house where you’ll taste an exclusive dish from a Michelin-starred chef while enjoying the sounds of the Portuguese music in the background.
- Taste the best pastry in Portugal (and arguably the world!) – the famed pastel de nata!
On this 2.5 hour walking tour, we take you to see the most iconic sights such as the Sé Cathedral and the famous Portas do Sol viewpoint and also hidden spots few tourists ever see. You will taste Lisbon’s best dishes at the places that locals cherish, and you will experience Alfama the right way, providing you with an opportunity to truly appreciate its beauty, inside and out.
It will be difficult for you to imagine that Alfama, now considered the Heart of Lisbon, was once situated outside of the city walls and known for its poverty and squalor where only the poor and disadvantaged lived. You will learn about Alfama’s rich history and transition from a deprived district where sailors and dock workers lived into the artisan and historical center of Lisbon.
And what better way to capture this history then by walking the backstreets and enjoying the local eats as you travel back in time.
Come hungry, in both body and mind, as we dive into the essentials of Portuguese food, history & culture. You’ll arrive as a curious traveller and leave feeling like a well-fed local ready to continue discovering Lisbon on your own.