Recipe for Easter Sweet Bread
Beatriz, our Operations Manager in Porto, makes a traditional Portuguese Easter Sweet (Folar da Páscoa) with her family on Easter. Like many “traditional” recipes, especially with this recipe, there will always be some slight variances based on preferences and family traditions.
Let’s jump into Beatriz’s simple recipe!
- 2 eggs
- Egg wash (1 egg mixed with water, milk or cream)
- 100 grams sugar
- 110 grams milk
- Lemon zest
- 100 grams butter
- 25 grams yeast
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 500 grams flour
- Combine 2 eggs, sugar, milk, lemon zest, butter, yeast, cinnamon until they’re mixed thoroughly.
- Add the flour, mix then kneed the dough (or use a mixer if you have!) until you get the proper consistency – less sticky and and becomes elastic (doesn’t break easily when pulled).
- Put it in a bowl, cover it with a towel, and let it stand for one hour in a dry room.
- Preheat your oven to 180° C.
- After about one hour, separate the dough into 2 or 3 smaller pieces.
- Make a simple egg wash and brush the balls of dough.
- Put the bread in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until brown in color. That’s it! Super easy sweet bread.